21 December 2008

TOP 5 ALBUMS FROM 2008

1. BON IVER - FOR EMMA, FOREVER AGO
2. WHY? - ALOPECIA
3. THE NOTWIST - THE DEVIL, YOU + ME
4. THE MOUNTAIN GOATS - HERETIC PRIDE
5. PETER BRODERICK - FLOAT

My passion for listening to and finding new music has died in the past few years. This is most likely due to what I do for my day job. I sit at a computer and listen to my iPod the entire time. It is the kind of job where I can get away with not talking to a single person for eight hours. Thus, good entertainment provided by my iPod is very important. I realized quickly after starting my job that listening to music only made my job go by slower - which is when I discovered podcasts and audiobooks, which helps the day go by so much faster. Somehow along the way, I stopped seeking music in the obsessive way I did in high school. A quick look through my iPod and one could tell that my music taste is seemingly frozen in 2005. I don't mean that I haven't heard anything new from the past three years, typically if a favorite band of mine releases something new I will look into it, everything else either falls into my lap or is so popular it's hard NOT to hear it.

Even with my musical retardation, I still can't stop composing year end lists of music I enjoyed. In the past, it would be hard to narrow down my list to twenty of my favorite albums of the year, now, I can hardly name twenty albums I actually like.

So, here's five. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Brady said...

I had a similar year with music. Instead of podcasts, I listened to a lot of dance music without words. I simply can't listen to music with words at work these days.

I've been putting off listening to Bon Iver for a while now, but I'll have to check him out. One of my favorite bands, Collections Of Colonies Of Bees, is doing a collab with him sometime soon.

Perhaps I'll have to update my blog with music discoveries this year.

kaylaporter@gmail.com